Re: Rather have a Big One

To: MWood24020@aol.com, laifman@flash.net
Subject: Re: Rather have a Big One
From: Dan Jones <djones2@mdc.com>
Date: Mon, 08 Feb 1999 12:32:42 -0600
>What TREMEC says is that they were the original manufacturer's
>of the Top Loader, not that their current transmission is the power >handling
equivalent.

Tremec did not produce the original top loader.  Ford did.  When
Ford  finished producing the top loader in 1974, they sold the
tooling and rights to Tremec.  Tremec continued to build a
version for GM of Mexico.  When Ford needed a four speed
in 1977, they sourced an overdrive version of the top loader
from Tremec.  That transmission was the SROD (Single Rail
OverDrive).  Its very closely related to the top loader and the
guts will interchange between the two with some minor work.
I've only seen aluminum case SROD's but supposedly there was
a cast iron cased version.  They were used in pick ups, Granadas,
Monarchs, and 79-84 Mustangs.  The SROD was not known
for great strength.

In Mexico, Tremec continued to build a version of the top loader
for GM of Mexico.  That transmission evolved into the TD-4, an
aluminum cased 4 speed with internal shift mechanism.  The TD-4
was used by GM, Ford, and Chrylser in Mexico.  The Tremec 5
speed borrows some of the design features of the TD-4 but adds
an overhung fifth gear, located in the tailhousing.

> I think they top out a 400 foot-pounds.

Different versions have been advertised at 350 ft-lbs, 400 ft-lbs,
450 ft-lbs, 485 ft-lbs, and 500 ft-lbs.  Don't know what standard
they use but I don't put much faith in advertised numbers.  Go to
the track and find out if the are breaking or not.

Later,
Dan Jones