Re: Rather have a Big One - Reply

To: MWood24020@aol.com
Subject: Re: Rather have a Big One - Reply
From: Steve Laifman <laifman@flash.net>
Date: Sat, 06 Feb 1999 11:20:37 -0800

MWood24020@aol.com wrote:

> Isn't the 427 top loader built with a much larger input shaft?

Yes, but the gears are the same and so is the torque handling capability.

> Nonetheless, the top loader is a GREAT transmission. What I don't understand
> is why a Tremec (which is basically a 5-speed permutation of the top loader,
> as I understand it) would be less capable of handling power/torque...
> Mike

Mike,

What TREMEC says is that they were the original manufacturer's of the Top
Loader, not that their current transmission is the power handling equivalent.
They now also own the rights to the T-5.  But they do not say they have the same
capabilities.  They don't.  I think they top out a 400 foot-pounds.

BTW, they may be the 'same' company, but they are now all made in Mexico, if
that makes any difference.  Their newer TREMEC (higher priced) version is the
"high torque" model.  I'll look up the specs on all, if you don't have them.
I've filed them away ,somewhere, when I was thinking about it for my Mustang.

Steve

--
                      < one first win, is all >
                      < you get in this life. >