Re: Dropping the motor out the botom

To: dbinkley@argotech.com
Subject: Re: Dropping the motor out the botom
From: DJoh797014@aol.com
Date: Sun, 7 Feb 1999 00:16:39 EST
Dave

Been there done that.

Its was 12 years agao when I dropped mine, but here is what I
remember.  May other memeber sof this net can add their notes.

1.  Remove the cross member.
2.  Drain the radiator and remove the hoses.
3.  Remove the radiator and take it to the radiator shop and have
     it boiled out and repainted.
4..  Remove the hood but not before marking the hinge placement
     so ot will line up when reinstalled.  Us chalk or magic marker.
5.  To be safe, I also pulled the generator.
6.  Put small wheeled jack under the transmission.
7.  Remove driveshaft from the trans tailstock.  Stick a rag in the
     tailstock.
8.  Remove the transmission mounts.
9.  Unbolt the exhaust manifolds or headers.
10. Remove the carb, gas lines, and linkage.
11. Position the engine hoist under the front of the car and
     bolt the chains to engine.  Lift slightly so that the hoist
     supports the engine.
12.  Remove the engine mounting bolts.  The hoist will hold
     the engine, but watch your fingers in case.
13. If everything else is unconnected (starter cable, ground
     strap under the drivers side, etc.) Slowly lower the engine
     while your buddy lowers the trans with you trying to keep
     everything level.  If necessary you can move the engine
     trans forward quite a bit into the area where the raditaor
     was.
14.  Once engine and trans are on the ground, unhook the
      engine and remove the hoist.
15.  Trained orangitans can then roll the tiger backwards on
      its rear wheels while leaving the engine and trans on the
      ground.  Place the Tiger back on jack stands.
16.  From the time my buddy drove up with his engine crane,
      Set it up, Torched the exhaust apart, dropped the engine
      and trans unto a dolly I made, took the crane back down.
      3 1/2 hours.  And that was in my unheated garage when
      it was 15 degrees.  I just love working in the cold,  You
      never have to worry about dropping tools as they stick to
      your skin when you pick them up.  Not only that  the cold
      numbs you so you don't feel skinned knuckles and such
      until you go back inside and notice you're bleeding like a
      stuck pig.

17.  Important tips:
      Replace the throw out bearing no matter how the old one
      looks.
      Consider replacing the bronze pilot bearing
      Don't be surprized if after the engine a trans are in that the
      holes for the cross member bolts just don;t quite line up.
      That because the weight on the engine spread the frame
      ever so slightly.  Jack the engine slightly under the pan using
      a wide 2x4.  Watch the bolt holes line up.

Good luck.

Dave Johnson