Re: Dropping the motor out the botom

To: Dave Binkley <dbinkley@argotech.com>,
Subject: Re: Dropping the motor out the botom
From: Bob Palmer <rpalmer@ames.ucsd.edu>
Date: Sat, 06 Feb 1999 22:23:53 -0800
At 11:45 AM 2/6/99 -0800, Dave Binkley wrote:
>Well, while the crossmember is out being powdercoated (2 week turn around)
>I'm thinking pretty hard about dropping the motor out the bottom and
>changing the clutch.  So, this question is for those of you who have done
>this procedure before.  Two questions:
>
>1.  Do you need to take the water pump off?  Looks like it will clear to me,
>but I don't want to be in the middle of this and have it hang up somewhere.
>
>2.  How do you get the right exhaust pipe clear?  I have it disconnected
>from the exhaust manifold, but it is definitely still in the way.  I got the
>left pipe roatated, pulled back and out of the way.  Unable so far to do
>that on the right side.  My system is stock manifold and exhaust pipes.
>Can't disconnect the right hand side pipes forward of the muffler due the
>two pipes being welded together.  It really looks like this right pipe is
>going to be in the way when I lower the motor.
>
>Thanks,
>
>Dave

Dave,

Although I have not done it myself, I know it is possible to pull the
tranny without completely removing the engine. If you really only need to
replace the clutch, even if that includes re-facing the flywheel, then you
can probably get some advice on just what is sufficient to pull the tranny
and leave the engine basically in place. I think I remember some postings
in this topic sometime during the past year or so.

Good luck,

Bob
Robert L. Palmer
Dept. of AMES, Univ. of Calif., San Diego
rpalmer@ames.ucsd.edu
rpalmer@cts.com