Re: Dropping the motor out the botom

To: Tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Dropping the motor out the botom
From: TigerCoupe@aol.com
Date: Sun, 7 Feb 1999 22:28:23 EST
In a message dated 2/7/99 5:56:51 PM Pacific Standard Time, CoolVT@aol.com
writes:

> With the crossmember removed in step #1 (and I assume the front wheels along
>  with it) how do the monkeys roll the car back in step #15?   Mark L.

Using the Dan Walter's method of engine removal, a floor jack is placed under
the center of the car, under the frame X, and another smaller jack is used
under the rear of the transmission.  With the front crossmember removed, the
car is lowered with the frame jack until the engine rests on a rolling
engine/transmission stand.  At this point, the front valance is just about
touching the floor.  (Headers are removed for this operation, but the water
pump is not.)  Next, the engine and transmission are unbolted.  The stand is
then rolled forwarded a bit until the transmission is clear of the tunnel and
can be lowered onto the stand, and then rolled back again until the water pump
clears the front body work.  Finally, the car is jacked up, and the engine and
transmission are rolled out the front.  When jacking under the frame X, the
car is very nose heavy while the engine is still installed, and it is usually
necessary to add weight in the trunk (like have a hefty helper sit in it).

True, this operation requires a special roll-around engine stand, plus a
medium-size floor jack and a bottle jack.  No hoist and no monkeys are
required.  Overhead space is not a consideration.  The car does not need to be
moved.  And the roll-around stand is a godsend for working on your motor in
the garage/shop.  Dan even uses his as part of an engine test/break-in stand.

A roll-around engine stand is not hard to weld up out of angle iron.  Two
vertical supports fit under the oil pan lip at each front corner, and a piece
in the rear supports the tranny.  Low casters are attached at each corner.
Loren Smith of Smitty's Sunbeam made up 4 of these stands in one day.  In
addition, he made some light weight frames with casters which bolt under the
front of the car, using the crossmember attaching points, with braces to the
engine mount points.  This allows you to roll the entire car around if you
want to.

This system has been used in SoCal for dozens of engine removals/installations
for the past several years.  It works, and is about a hassle free as it gets.

Dick Barker