RE: Shelby and Tigers

To: "Rande Bellman" <rande@thecia.net>,
Subject: RE: Shelby and Tigers
From: "Allan Connell" <alcon@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 6 Mar 1999 11:59:03 -0800
I think Rande makes some great points.

I for one am old enough to recall the first reviews of the Tiger, where the
reviewers in the auto-mags called the car "...a poor man's Cobra."

In addition, the nice thing about owning a Tiger is that outside of the
Tiger community, when someone notices ".....wow man, it's a Tiger...."
Unlike a Cobra, there is usually no question as to weather it is the real
thing.  When people recognize a Tiger, they _really_ appreciate it.  And
they seem to recognize it quite often.  As a matter of fact, during the
Vintage races we took my Tiger one day and another guy's Cobra replica
(looks pretty authentic,) the next.  He was really steamed because more
people commented on and noticed my Tiger than they did his Cobra.  This did
not please the La Jolla-ite.

Will it make our cars more sought after or valuable if they can be more
directly tied to Carrol Shelby?  I for one, really doubt it.  I have a Brit
friend here in San Diego, who when we get together always asks: "How's your
Jensen??"  When I tried once to explain to him the tiny bit of involvement
with Carrol Shelby, it really fell on deaf ears.  The affiliation with
Jensen made the REAL impression.  To my friend I suppose Carrol is just a
hick Texas chicken rancher who got lucky against Jim Clark a couple of
times.  A matter of reference I suppose.

Me? I am just satisfied with having more fun with my car than should be
legal.  Thanks Rande.

Allan
B9472373