Re: Shelby and Tigers

To: MWood24020@aol.com
Subject: Re: Shelby and Tigers
From: "Jim D'Amelio" <jimdamelio@home.com>
Date: Sat, 06 Mar 1999 18:54:06 -0500
Mike,

You make reference to a Shelby Omni as being " one tape stripe
makeover".  The only Shelby Omni was the one produced in 1986 as the
Shelby GLHS, and it definitely was more than cosmetic.  These cars were
the first of a series of Dodge vehicles purchased by Shelby and modified
at his plant in California.  Shelby installed a larger turbo, different
intake, hotter computer and Koni shocks etc.  Just about the same
thing he did to the 65 and 66 GT350.  So these cars are more Shelby
then most of the Mustangs were, cause he didn't build them after 66.

Of course were not welcome at any of the Shelby American events.  Were
just 4 cyl FWD Dodges not real Shelby's.  Carrol doesn't feel that way
though, he owns several of the 001 number cars, and likes them better
that the Rustangs.

I bought two 86 GLHS's #130 and #131 new in August 86.  The invoice
lists the manufacturer as Shelby Automobiles, that makes it a Shelby.
Stock they put out 175 hp but are easily modified to 250 hp with more
fuel and a different computer.  Don't run up against one in a stock
Tiger, you might get embarrassed.  Many 5.0 Mustangs have been.

So I don't get any recognition for my Tiger or my GLHS's.

Jim