Re: Picture of Miles prototype

To: MWood24020@aol.com, awtiger@ix.netcom.com, tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Picture of Miles prototype
From: David McDermott <David.Mcdermott@Colorado.EDU>
Date: Tue, 18 May 1999 22:45:45 -0600
        Mike,

        You are correct on old magnesium wheels. I also had a set of the
American Racing Silverstone real mags on one of my Tigers for about 10 years
back in the late 70's and early 80's. Both front wheels cracked around the
bolt holes. Fortunately I noticed the very visible cracks before the wheels
separated from the car at speed. It was very scary to see those cracked
wheels. Needless to say I took those off the car quickly. If they were that
brittle 10-15 years ago you can imagine them now. The aluminum version
should be OK. I thought they were really nice looking wheels and were very
light weight. It might be of interest that the offsets on those wheels were
different between the front and rear. For the Tiger they put more offset to
the inside on the fronts but I don't have the exact measurements since I got
rid of the wheels to someone who said they had a way to weld magnesium.

        Dave McDermott