Re: Picture of Miles prototype

To: Bob Palmer <rpalmer@ames.ucsd.edu>
Subject: Re: Picture of Miles prototype
From: Steve Laifman <laifman@flash.net>
Date: Thu, 20 May 1999 07:42:58 -0700
I do believe that Bo has resurrected a treasure for us all to enjoy.  As
far as wheels are concerned, I am not certain how Ken originally
presented the car, but most of us know that the production model did not
offer the wire wheel option of the Alpine.  The V-8 would rip the spokes
from the rim, and strip the tiny spline in short order.  Ken was a first
class mechanic,  car designer, and race driver.  It is very possible for
him to have made that decision, but not having seen pictures of the
original, I don't know.

Yes, I know the original AC and Cobra came with wire wheels, but they
had considerably more spline and wheel strength.  And even those were
deleted when a little more power and race experience were in hand.  The
American Racing Silverstones are beautiful wheels, and period correct,
and were available for Tiger bolt circles.  They were raced by Larry
Reed, as can be seen in our collector's books.

Thank you, Bo, for keeping the flame burning.

Steve

--
Steve Laifman         < Find out what is most     >
B9472289              < important in your life    >

                         _/
                    _/_/_/