Cold Start Myths

To: "Tigers (E-mail)" <Tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Cold Start Myths
From: "BRENNAN,STUART (A-Andover,ex1)" <stuart_brennan@agilent.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2000 09:15:30 -0700
Today's cold weather, -2F as I was driving in (Canadians:  Yes, I know this
is a warm day for you.), has brought forth one of the old cold starting
myths.  This alleged hint says that you should turn on your headlights for a
few seconds before trying to start your car.  I work in a building just full
of engineers, and most everybody's got an opinion.  The comments on this
range from "GARBAGE!!" (>50%) to various thoughts about warming the
electrolyte, warming the battery terminals, etc.

Most of us wonder how a few seconds of a few amps is going to do more of
whatever the effect is supposed to be,  than the first few milliseconds of
starter current.  Does anyone have more info on this, what effect is
supposed to be, etc.?

Stu