RE: Cold Start Myths

To: "'Chris Thompson'" <cthompson@rrinc.com>,
Subject: RE: Cold Start Myths
From: Theo Smit <TSMIT@isotel.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2000 13:50:01 -0700
Ahem..

To keep things as simple as possible, let's make some assumptions:
1. We need zero volts to run the starter. This means we can use all the
voltage available for heating up the battery.
2. It takes 120 amps to crank the starter. This is a figure I picked for
convenience.

So, if we pull 120 amps out of the battery, and that results in zero volts
at the terminals, then all the voltage is being dropped through the internal
resistance of the battery. This means that under these conditions the
internal resistance is 0.1 ohms, since 120 amps x 0.1 ohms = 12 volts, by
Ohm's law.

Then we're going to run the lights for a few (?) minutes. Figure on 120
watts total for 10 amps. So now the heat dissipated in the battery is 10 x
10 x 0.1 = 10 watts. The equivalent of three instrument panel lights.

Better get a battery blanket.

Theo