Re: Cold Start Myths

To: DJoh797014@aol.com
Subject: Re: Cold Start Myths
From: Steve Laifman <Laifman@Flash.Net>
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2000 11:44:26 +0000
DJoh797014@aol.com wrote:

> Having lived (not survived) in Northern Illinois for 25+ years
> I disagree with your characterization of Illinois.  I have
> never had one of my cars fail to start ----

Dave, I agree.  However, I never said my car wouldn't start, nor do I think I
exaggerated
the weather conditions.

"where 2 weeks of below 0 weather (F, not C), and mosquito/muggy
summers" were my actual experiences.  I don't think that's defamatory, but fact.
I loved Illinois, (see below) even if it were away from my family.  It was the
weather that
I couldn't take.  Walking down Michigan Avenue, holding on to ropes so you
wouldn't be blown across the ice into the street is the kind of thrill I can
live
without.

On the other hand,  I wouldn't put my 911 (new) Porsche into that river of salt
on
the highways,
so like most of the people I knew I had a 'beater' winter car.  Picked a
Corvair,
and it
started.  Just said that there WERE heater elements available there to help.
Your

drop light sounds like a good example.

> Much better than the semi arid desert of Southern Calif
> with its endless cycle of rain and mudslides, followed by
> explosive growth, followed by incessant heat where everything
> turns brown, then the wildfires start.  Soon follows the
> rain with its mudslides again.  I've had enough TV scenes of
> wildfires in the canyons of Calif.  Hasn't anyone told
> these people about fire resistant roofs instead of using
> wood shakes?  How about fire hydrants instead of trucks?

Yes, it is semi-arid.  Yes, it sometimes rains, but not much.  That's why we
import all our water.
Those mudslides and fires that blanket the news are, if you notice, always in
the
same areas.
These are canyons that have unkempt wild brush that isn't cleared. Rarely lose
houses, except
those areas that should never have been developed, anyway.

Law requires fire retarding roofs and no more wood shingles, however it only
applies to new
construction and re-roofing.  Can't force homeowners to remove a working roof,
if
they are stupid
enough to want them.

We all have fire hydrants located close by.  The "fire trucks" carry people,
ladders, hoses, and pumps, not water.
Now, you've got the right idea about too many people, but they refuse to return
from whence they came, and more keep coming. And this is the legal residents.
Hard to find a native (like me).  Most seem to come from the Midwest and East,
and won't go  back.  If California were a country, instead of a state, it would
displace Canada on the Economic Council of those  7 largest economy countries.

> I remember several Californians telling me at SUNI in
> Lake Geneva how amazed they were at how green
> everything was in June. Some complained about the cold.

Yup.  Green is nice.  Autumn is nice.  So is Paris.

> To each their own.  Now to me crazy is living in
> Wisconsin of Minnesota.  Now that's cold.

Dave, 10 days of below zero F in Highland Park IL isn't cold?

I was in the Scandanavian countries last year.  Really great.  When we got to
Sweden we found nothing but
trees and lakes.  Few people.  I know understand why the Swedish immigrants
settled in Minnesota.  On look
was all they needed to say "We're Home!".

As I said, I loved the home on the golf course, the people, the educational
system, the food.  My blood must be too thin for the cold, and too close to the
surface for the lake bound mosquitoes. Much better living, at less cost, then
here. But home is home. And that's where the heart and family are.  So everybody
believes that where they are is the best place in the world.  And for them, they
are right.

Steve

--
Steve Laifman         < Find out what is most     >
B9472289              < important in your life    >

                            _/
                     _/_/_/