RE: Cold Start Myths

To: "'BRENNAN,STUART (A-Andover,ex1)'" <stuart_brennan@agilent.com>,
Subject: RE: Cold Start Myths
From: Theo Smit <TSMIT@isotel.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2000 09:41:09 -0700
Hi all,

When I try to start my car in cold weather, I want every electron the
battery's got going to the starter. No heater motor, no wipers, no lights.

Since it's reasonbly well established that the battery loses about 50% of
its cranking capacity at 0F compared to 60F, someone should figure out how
much of a current draw is required in the first place to cause any
appreciable heating of the electrolyte, considering that the electrolyte is
also in intimate contact with about 30 pounds of lead. I don't think that
this is a winnable situation.

Another thing I heard of is that quartz halogen lights are required to
operate at full intensity in order for the bulbs to burn 'clean' , and that
having the lights on while starting the car therefore degrades the life of
the bulbs.

Regards
Theo