Cool It

To: Tiger List <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Cool It
From: Scott Minton <sminton2000@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2001 22:58:28 -0700 (PDT)
Hello again,

Thanks to everybody for you responses concerning my
oil leak question.  While I haven't fixed it yet I now
no what to do.  That brings me to my next question.

I have also been fighting the standard overheating
problem. The other day the temperature was over 230 in
only about 15 or 20 minutes of driving. While the car
is down for the oil leak I figure I will tackle the
cooling system as well.

My car appears to have the original but modified and
rebuilt radiator. I am missing the stock surge tank. I
can see where the fitting that fed the surge tank was
removed. Additionally, a filler neck with pressure cap
has been added to the right (passenger) side tank. I
have plumbed in a coolant recovery bottle mounted in
the right front wheel well.

I am running the asymmetrical 5 bladed Volvo fan
mentioned in the CAT tech manual. I am also missing
the fan shroud.  I have water pump from SS.  I think
that covers the system. Also, I feel reasonably
confident that my temp guage is correct.  It is a new
autometer unit.

I have read Dan's article on the tigerunited page.  I
know I need a fan shroud.  From what I've read the
stocker wasn't great anyway.  Has any body gone the
pick a part route and modified some other shroud to
fit?  If so, what did it come off of?  Should I
consider adding a surge tank in addition to my coolant
recovery bottle?  Your input will be greatly
appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Scott Minton
'66 Mk1a