Re: Alpine Conversion

To: "Dan Eiland" <deiland1@elp.rr.com>
Subject: Re: Alpine Conversion
From: "Kathy and Erich Coiner" <kathy.coiner@gte.net>
Date: Sat, 23 Nov 2002 19:08:20 -0800
A salvage title is something the state does,  I don't think a volunteer
organization should go anywhere near there.
It would be intereresting to see what would happen if the car you describe
were submitted for TAC inspection.  I suspect that the car would not get a
sticker.
You said only the front third of the car was originally a Tiger. So the
majority of the car is an Alpine with a front clip from a Tiger.  Unusual to
be sure but possible.  Was the Tiger VIN tag removed from one relic and
attached to the other?  Or did it stay in place and remain part of the car?
I began my first reply with the words  philisophical discussion.  And that
is what everybody has danced around for the past two days.
How much of a Tiger can be replaced and still remain a Tiger?  10%?, 40%?
49.9999999999999999999999999%?  50.000000000000000000001%?
I don't know the answer and I doubt many people would agree with my exact
threshold anyway.  Thats what makes this a philosophy discussion.

Take a look at Norm Millers website.  He has pictures and lists several of
the easily seen Tiger unique items.  He lists the kinds of things you can
see on a car without putting it up on a lift.  As for the rest, I am glad
the results of STOA's research is being kept confidential.
For a similar situation,  call up SAAC and ask them to publish the list of
Shelby VIN to Mustang VIN comparisions.  That info is jealously guarded as
well it should be.  STOA's info and the info in Norms registry are
appropriately guarded well.

Erich