Re: Alpine Conversion

To: <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Alpine Conversion
From: "Tom Witt" <wittsend@jps.net>
Date: Sat, 23 Nov 2002 09:25:14 -0800
Mayf,
   I don't think the intent of TAC was to ever harass owners. Rather it was
to protect the unknowning from those who would deal fraudulently in the
selling of a supposed Tiger. If the market was flooded with Algers it would
likely lower the value (both financially and historically - as in looking
forward). Thus, those intent on preserving the integrity of the car have
made the efforts that they have. When the TAC guy visited So. Cal last
Summer they came at their own cost and were ferried around by volunteers.
Therefore, I don't think they are doing this to generate as source of cash.
I would think that the $10 barely covers the cost of minimal expenses.
   By TAC-ing as many Tigers as possible it helps to protect future buyers
and improve the outsiders perspective of a car that is often seen as "a
rusty Alpine, stuffed with a you-can't-get-to -any-part-on-it V-8!", and if
your lucky they might just kindly call it a "poor man's Cobra."
  If you were purchasing an item at considerable cost would you prefer to go
it alone or to rely on those that, though not perfect, have considerable
knowledge of the item in consideration? At the moment you are content in
knowing for yourself that you in fact own an original Tiger. And, since the
value and integrity is solely related to your perception there is no issue.
Whether TAC says it is a Tiger or not, you are content.
  On the other hand should someday you (or your heirs) decide to sell the
car a knowledgable buyer would likely want to see it TACed and could you
blame them? If you have truly been harassed unjustly for not TACing your car
then I am sorry to hear that. However, I do think it is fair to pose the
question "why wouldn't one want to TAC their Tiger?" What is the
disadvantage in doing so. Unless you have stated why and I missed it I would
be curious to know. Perhaps I myself am missing something.

Respectfully to your position, Tom Witt B9470101