Re: Alpine Conversion

To: "Theo Smit" <tsmit@shaw.ca>
Subject: Re: Alpine Conversion
From: "Dan Eiland" <deiland1@elp.rr.com>
Date: Sat, 23 Nov 2002 17:14:40 -0700
Theo,

The list seemed to have gone in a different direction from my original
thoughts on the TAC and what it means in the Tiger community to have this
designation. I was not refering to cars that are modified or have had minor
collisions and used Alpine parts to repair the damage. I know of a car that
is out there where the front of the car is a Tiger but from the center of
the car back it is an Alpine. Both original cars were totally destroyed in
accidents. The person I know cut the original cars in half and built one
driveable car out of the two salvage vehicles. In my state this would carry
a salvage title and the owner is required by law to divulge all information
about the car to any interested buyers. I am a little perplexed at the idea
that a car like this might pass a TAC inspection just because it has enough
evidence that it began it's life on one end as a Tiger. To say this is one
of the original Tigers that left the factory 30+ years ago is stretching it
if you asked me. Only part of the car left the factory as an original Tiger.
Once the TAC sticker is on a car like this do you really believe it will
ever be disclosed that the car is a salvage vehicle? All I'm saying is that
the TAC inspectors have enough knowledge to catch these salvage cars during
the TAC process and to have a special sticker to identify them for those
people  without the same knowledge as a TAC inspector. It seems to me a very
blatent cop-out if you ask me when someone says that isn't what the TAC is
for and buyer beware when these same people know that all the people
involved with the TAC process protect this information with their lives. To
prove my point I'll ask if one of the TAC inspectors will please publish on
this list for all to see all the things to look for to determine if someone
is purchasing an Authentic Tiger, a Fraud, a modified Tiger, a Salvage car,
etc., etc. I'm sure there are a lot of buyers out there who would like to
know what to look for so they can make an informed decission. The reason
I've seen on this list that this information is not available to the public
is to keep the bad boys from building fake Tigers. But then didn't someone
say that couldn't be done? Nothing wrong with a TAC program that sets the
highest standards and then has levels that can be met. But to say the levels
don't matter they're all Tigers or they're not seems to me to take the lower
standard and therefore looses its credibility. I know longer know what the
designation tells me.