Re: National Club

To: Anthony & Susan <jetbike@worldlynx.net>
Subject: Re: National Club
From: Steve Laifman <SLaifman@socal.rr.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2005 17:41:59 -0800
Anthony,

That is a marvelous idea.  Certain un-named list and club members have
been trying to negotiate
a fixed set of reasonable rules for concourse and auto-x events within
their own club.

It seems, like many organizations of people, there is an "in-group", and
those who don't count.
There is no democracy, and the power just rotates within the
"in-group".  There are, of course,
reasons that this situation exists.  Various members of the "in-group"
have there own special events
and with to "handicap" them so their entry has the best possibility of
winning.  Hence, unreasonable
requirements for class, unreasonable requirements on modifications, and
even complete rejection
of the distinquishment between an original Tiger and a modified Alpine.
Guess which part of the
club is most interested in that issue, and why.

I will not name the club, nor any individuals in it. They all know who
they are.  For this reason,
getting a common standard between different organizations is dictated by
the "in-group", not logic, or
rationality.

There is no such thing as national Auto-X accepted standard.  There is
no such thing as a national
standard for what constitutes an "original Tiger", except for the
unwritten - but accurate - rules of
the TAC inspectors.  There are plenty of bloody fights against this, and
you can guess what kind of
car is owned by the most vociferous.

Until we can all sit down and work out standards, there will never be
the dream you propose.

You, Anthony, are a good Tiger supporter, and perhaps you have your own
views on my broad generalization,
with no specific organization identified. You may agree this situation
may exist, or disagree.  However, giving
some thought on how to cure an inbred elite High Command might just save
some club(s), and make your
dream a reality.

Best of Luck,

Steve Laifman