Re: Motor Mods

To: Caseyh4312@aol.com
Subject: Re: Motor Mods
From: Steve Laifman <SLaifman@socal.rr.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2005 11:57:44 -0800
Joey,

Please ignore advise against a 4 barrel on a 260 in favor of advice from
someone who has actually done it.  First, you want the Edelbrock Hi-Rise
F4B.  It would be nice if you could get the LAT version, as it has the
correct threads for the temp sender, and a tap for the distributor
vacuum advance.  The 465 IS the correct size carb for this set-up, and
does not have the oversize performance issue listed incorrectly.

The performance is crisp, fast, and smooth.  Some minor tuning, like two
sizes up on the main jet, and the uncolored spring for the secondary
vacuum control, is about all you need. Changing thread size on the temp
sender was covered by wire heliarc welding of the pipe thread and a
sender matching straight thread tap.  Another suggestion was a larger
pipe thread cut, and a thread change insert.

I have the Edelbrock Oxygen mixture ratio sensor mounted on mine, and it
is rock solid perfect ratio under almost any rpm, load or throttle
position.  No sog, no bog. The right size carb.  The larger one (600
CFM) suffers from flat spots and other signs of over-carburetting, even
on a 289.  If you go all out with head, valves and cam, to improve
breathing, you might get the 600 to perform as smoothly and crisply as
the 465, and at higher power levels.  Save up your money, if you want this.

It is true that the engine runs out of steam at about 4800 rpm, but this
is a stock camshaft, valves and valve spring issue, not a manifold of
carb problem.  This set-up, as confirmed by Edelbrock, is good to 6,000
rpm - providing the rest of the engine is.

The LAT option came with the 465 with manifold heat operated choke.

Steve