Re: [Tigers] Nano Cars

To: "Rense, Mark \(GE Indust, ConsInd\)" <mark.rense@ge.com>,
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Nano Cars
From: "Smit, Theo" <Theo.Smit@dynastream.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2008 09:25:56 -0600
The last tank on my Echo got me over 750 km or 460 miles (on about 41
litres, call it 11 US gallons). My normal commute speed is 60 to 70 mph
with some 8 percent grades thrown in for fun, and there is lots of room
left under my throttle foot. When the Tiger is back in running shape I'm
going to do a mileage project with the Echo. I picked up an IHI turbo
from a Subaru about 6 months ago... Not sure if it will be small enough
for what I think is needed. With the Echo having variable intake valve
timing, I figure I can run high static compression, let the intake cam
retard to lower the piston compression ratio, and use the exhaust energy
to drive the turbo and provide higher manifold pressure to get back to
normal-range cylinder pressures. This way each compression stage is
performed by the mechanism most suited to the task. Getting it all
controlled the right way will be the challenge.

I considered a Smart car when I was looking for a commuter vehicle. The
Echo has twice the seats, it can carry ten foot long things with the
trunk closed, and it cost me about half of what a Smart car would have.
Theo