Re: [Tigers] Nano Cars

To: "Cullen McCann" <cmccann@lwpb.com>, <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Nano Cars
From: "Rense, Mark (GE Indust, ConsInd)" <mark.rense@ge.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2008 14:29:15 -0400
Cullen,
Where do I start? The Isetta's top speed was about 55 mph, so it was not
suitable for American highways, plus I think the car would be a handful
at any speed above that. It was dog slow off the line, so getting run
over by an Escalade when the light turns green is a real possibility.
The car was only attractive when parked, I eventually dreaded having to
go somewhere in it, as I had to plan out a surface street route and then
be on constant watch for errant SUVs. I sold it without hesitation when
offered a reasonable sum.

There are conversions to use a modern Honda engine out of a 250 scooter,
that doubles the hp but that IMHO is still a long way off being
practical. A company called Tri-Tech used to make kits and conversions
for different motorcycle engines. I saw a link to a Suzuki
Hayabusa-powered Isetta on YouTube, I cannot imaging 185 hp in such an
unstable platform. You mentioned converting to an Oilhead Type 259 boxer
engine, I do not think the old 4-speed from an R56 will "bolt on", you
would be better served to buy a complete R1100 drive train and adapt
that to the Isetta's rear end. Go for a motor out of a R or GS model,
they are lower hp but better midrange power and torque. Also, I think
you will also need to apply for a pilot's license before it's all over.

Good luck with that!

Bugz