Re: [Tigers] Nano cars

To: <zymmer4@yahoo.com>, "Thomas Witt" <atwittsend@verizon.net>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Nano cars
From: "Smit, Theo" <Theo.Smit@dynastream.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2008 13:18:34 -0600
I'm going to guess that none of the three cars under discussion had:
-Power steering
-Power door locks
-Power windows
-Air conditioning
-air bags
-plastic covering every piece of interior metal
-an inch of sound deadener over every piece of the interior

On the other hand, they had small-ish brakes and wheels/tires, and a
driveline that was appropriately sized for the power levels used in the
car.
And they each weighed well under a ton.
Most likely, they were not driven at much over 60 MPH very often either,
so the inertia would have played a large factor in the mileage achieved.
The problem is that the target buyer for the big automakers these days
expects all of the comfort features, and the automakers know where their
bread is buttered.

Theo