Re: [Tigers] How hot is hot ?

To: "'Tiger Man'" <Tigerman67@hotmail.com>, "'Steve Ralsten'"
Subject: Re: [Tigers] How hot is hot ?
From: "Frank P. Marrone" <itswonderful@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2008 10:42:33 -0700
Beware that the temperature read by the IR guns is dependent on the
emissivity of the surface being measured.  These sensors expect a flat black
surface and the temperature they read will be in error on any other surface
color or finish.  The error is usually small but can be a significant
percentage when emissivity is far off what is expected by the sensor.

I have a Raytec Minitemp that I use everyday for work.  It expects an
emissivity of .95 (1.0 is a true black body).  When measuring component
temperatures I always apply a black label or color a spot with a black
sharpie to get more accurate readings.  The difference can be several
percent between a natural finish piece of aluminum and the same surface
colored black.

Frank in Cloverdale