[Tigers] Brake System Recommendations Needed

To: <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Tigers] Brake System Recommendations Needed
From: "Jim & Carolyn Burruss" <cburruss@hiwaay.net>
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2009 15:36:27 -0600
Quite a few years ago, I removed the troublesome brake booster from my 1965 Mk
1 Tiger and installed a smaller bore master cylinder to recover some of the
lost line pressure.  There was some softening of the pedal, which frequently
occurs with increased mechanical and/or hydraulic advantage.  I've experienced
the same on other cars as well.

Having recently gotten the car off jack stands and running after two years, I
now find that I'm no longer satisfied with the brake feel.  I can lock the
brakes, but I would like a firmer pedal -- though not one that requires two
feet.  In addition, the results of extensive bleeding of the brakes has me
puzzled.  While there are no discernible bubbles in the ejected fluid, it
comes out cloudy, not clear; and sufficient fluid has been used to completely
flush the system.  Microscopic bubbles, perhaps?  If this is air in the fluid,
I wonder if it is being drawn in from around the bleed screws.  The front
calipers have been rebuilt, and the rear slave cylinders have been replaced.
There are no leaks.

The car is driven occasionally and not hard.  As much as I would like a nice,
modern, high-tech, 4-wheel-disc brake system, it just isn't in the cards and
should not be needed for my use of the car.  Should I return to a boosted
system?  Any suggestions/diagnoses will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Jim Burruss