Re: [Tigers] Tiger colors

To: tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Tiger colors
From: Stephen Waybright <gswaybright@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Sep 2009 05:33:40 -0700 (PDT)
First, I think most the detail you need can be found in the Book of Norman. I
sold mine when they crossed $700 on eBay. Come on Norm, print  2nd edition or
make a PDF available online so we know what our cars are supposed to have.  ;)
My theories... Everyone and his brother has a Corvette, so they really need a
high level of detail to differentiate the winner amongst their cookie cutter
cars. Tigers may be getting closer to that point now that we are seeing more
and more top notch restorations, but in the Tiger community, we have generally
placed as much value on personalized cars and modified cars as demonstrated by
the judging classes as such in national events. I'm not sure why, but I rather
prefer it to the approach where only original cars can be appreciated.
Original and best are not the same thing in my personal car value system.
Further, most shows I go to with the Tiger, I'm often the only Sunbeam at all,
let alone a Tiger. There are always more Shelby's and Corvettes, so there's
not much need to go beyond general fit/finish to pick a winner among Tigers. I
honestly belive that is the reality with most show classes, considering that
you're working with a small group of volunteer judges usually from the club
that sponsored the show. I've even won class in a fairly large concourse
(Houston's Keels & Wheels concours d'Elegance-Misc British Sportscar) with my
highly modified Tiger, simply because it's fit/finish was so good. Any car
judge should recognize that my 16" Panasports, 45-series tires and Koni coil
overs were not original. :)

Outside of California, the national Sunbeam
events are the only place where you'd need or even have judges with the
knowledge to recognize the minutia of a factory original Tiger at a show
(there are a few guys outside California who might, not enough to cover more
than a few shows annually.

Finally, Tigers are consistently judged in that
each car is what best fits the needs and means of its owner, and that's all
that really matters.

Stephen Waybright