Re: [Tigers] To roll bar or not to roll bar,

To: MAURO D'ANGELO <m_dangelo@verizon.net>, Tiger Talk List Tiger
Subject: Re: [Tigers] To roll bar or not to roll bar,
From: Stephen Waybright <gswaybright@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 5 Feb 2010 18:13:47 -0800 (PST)
When my car was restored, I had Dale put in his custom 5 point roll bars and
the forward brace is removable, so you don't risk cracking your skull open when
not wearing a helmet.

Without the forward brace, I doubt the normal Tiger roll bars will be all that
much help... but you should at least have proper mounting plates beneath the
floor where the bar is mounted.

The reallity of how I use the car is that it is never going to be put at much
risk of a roll over, and the bar adds a lot of aggravation to put the top up
and down (in my MkI w/ the metal covers), so I'm contemplating removing the bar
and getting a replacement rear shelf carpet piece without the holes that
accommodate the bar.

If I ever bring the car to a road course instead of one of my other toys (all
worth much less than the Tiger and much better suited for track days), I'd just
bolt the bar back in for that event.

My vote = remove the bar for street use, replace only for track events.
 Best regards,
Stephen Waybright
www.linkedin.com/in/gswaybright