[Tigers] Tiger Engine Installation Techniques

To: tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: [Tigers] Tiger Engine Installation Techniques
From: Carmods@aol.com
Date: Thu, 8 Apr 2010 10:35:50 EDT
Pulling an engine from a Tiger is like a religion. Once someone excepts and
 practices it a certain way, it generally becomes the only way.  I am not
trying to convert anyone, just explain why I do it from the top.

I pretty much follow the Manual procedure except I don't remove the
steering rack or washer bottle.

You need the following;
    *   The ability to jack the car up temporarily 2 feet high in the front
 and drop it after the tailshaft clears the tunnel.
    *   A chain-fall with a hook that will go at least 6 ft off the ground.
    *   A short lifting sling.
    *   A come-a-long to level the engine once it clears the tunnel and is
above the radiator support.
.Here are some of the reasons why I pull from the  top
    *   I don't have to remove  and reinstall the wheels.
    *   I don't have to remove and reinstall the front crossmember.
    *   I don't have to remove, then reinstall the steering column and
realign the wheels.
    *   I don't have to disconnect brake lines and then have to connect and
 bleed them.
    *   I only need to disconnect and tie up the fuel line.
    *   After the engine is out I can safely roll, steer and stop the car
on all  four of its wheels out of the way anytime I want without jacks or
blocks.
    *   I don't have to lift and roll the freshly restored body around
without  front wheels and risk dropping a it. This has happened in our family!
    *   I can do the whole job by myself without help.
John Logan