Re: [Tigers] Crossmember Installation Headache: Advice Needed

To: Gyroplanes@aol.com
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Crossmember Installation Headache: Advice Needed
From: Tom Parker <tkparker1941@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2010 08:50:31 -0400
Tom,

If your cross member is out of the car you need to take two sets of
measurements: Between the towers and the bolt hole spacing. The C.A.T. Shop
Notes has the tower measurements; if you don't have a copy you need one.
Bill Graf's the parts manager, he's a good guy; they have parts even Rick
doesn't carry. You have to join to buy. The frame spec in the Tiger Workshop
manual only gives the rear bolt spacing: 22.56".

Cross member - frame bolts: Measure between the bolt holes, center to
center:
Front = 24 1/8" + / - 1/8"
Rear = 22 1/2" + / - 1/8"
The diagonal between the bolts should be about 24 1/8+

Crossmember - tower spacing - measure at the upper A Arm mounts:
Front: 30 11/16"
Rear: 28 - 28 3/16" Per C.A.T. Page F 6.

The bolt spacing tells you if the frame and cross member will mate, the
towers tells you whether you'll be able to align the front end. Again, if
you don't have the C.A.T. shop notes, you need to get a copy (in my opinion;
it's saved me more times than I care to admit.)

My Kitty had a hard life. The crossmember bolt spacing was correct but the
bolts were elongated to the outside, implying the body had been spread a
time or two; even with the bolts tight it moved. After the body rebuild the
body was a bit tighter than spec. Welding does that.

When you put the engine in - if you do it from the bottom - you need to get
the engine in position and install the crossmember before you install the
engine mounts, or with the engine mount bracket bolts loose in their frame
holes (no load from the engine on the car). Remember to remove both brake
lines before you drop the cross member. The right side line is easy to
forget!

Tom
' 67 Mark 2