Re: [Tigers] Ford / Mazda 5speed transmission

To: <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Ford / Mazda 5speed transmission
From: "Thomas Witt" <atwittsend@verizon.net>
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2011 13:15:36 -0800
Al,

The ratios in that Mazda transmission are: 3.75, 2.32, 1.43, 1.00, 0.75 .
The 2.32 2nd gear in that transmission is 1st gear in a close ratio
Toploader.  Most seem to find the 2.78 1st gear of the wide ratio to be very
good.  I believe (but might need correction) that the ratios Tom Hall uses
have the 2.95 1st gear (rather close). So, the 3.75 Mazda 1st gear is W-A-Y
out there.  The .75 5th will probably drop you 600-700 RPM on the highway.
This could put your engine out of its torque range depending upon the build.

 I've also heard the Mazda/Ford transmission isn't very reliable (this
according to the rednecks up the street).  My inclination would be to
consider a different transmission based on ratio spread, and reliability.

Tom (Witt)