Re: [Tigers] Ford / Mazda 5speed transmission

To: Gary <maliburevue@yahoo.com>, "allfudge1635@gmail.com"
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Ford / Mazda 5speed transmission
From: "Smit, Theo" <Theo.Smit@dynastream.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2011 21:36:07 -0600
I have a 3.31 differential and a T5 with the OEM Mustang gears (3.35 first,
1.99 second gears) and I typically use second-gear starts only for autocross
where I'm trying to limit wheelspin and don't want to shift two seconds after
getting out of the box. Granted, first is really short and I'd rather have the
Z gearing (2.95 first, 1.94 second) but as it is it's perfectly usable as a
five-speed. Fifth at 0.68 is absolutely great for highway - with a toploader
you'd need 2.3 differential gears to get the same highway RPM. Optimized fuel
economy is good for my wallet, too.

Cheers,
Theo