Re: [Tigers] Re-veneering the dash

To: "aballard@ix.netcom.com" <aballard@ix.netcom.com>, Gary Winblad <garywinblad@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Re-veneering the dash
From: "Rense, Mark (GE, Appl & Light)" <mark.rense@ge.com>
Date: Thu, 7 Jun 2012 22:16:18 +0000
Accept-language: en-US
Cc: "tigers@autox.team.net" <tigers@autox.team.net>
I have two Mk1A Tigers with original dashes that are 450 numbers apart and the
dashes look very different. One is dark brown and heavily burled and one is
light, almost oak in color, and has nice grain but no burl. The color
difference can be attributed to different levels of aging to an extent, but
the wood grain variation cannot. I have seen this variation on many Rootes
cars over the years, I always assumed their dash suppliers used whatever
veneer was available. Every piece of wood has a unique grain, and each piece
absorbs stain differently. I've been around vintage guitars since before they
were vintage and I've never seen two Les Pauls that were alike either.

My advice is to restore your dash in the spirit of what Rootes intended, but
choose the grains and color you prefer. I have always thought a deep cherry
red dash would look stunning on my black car, but I'm a bit off me chum
sometimes...
Bugz