Re: [Tigers] Re-veneering the dash

To: aballard@ix.netcom.com
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Re-veneering the dash
From: Gary Winblad <garywinblad@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 7 Jun 2012 22:02:17 +0000 (UTC)
Cc: Tiger List <tigers@autox.team.net>
Hi Allan,
BTW, Alan is my middle name!

Hopefully you can see the attached photo.  This is my home-restored in 1979
dash.
It still looks like it did in 1979.  It is Tiger B9470622.
This is the original veneer.  I was able to save it by very carefully cracking
off the then
peeling plastic(?) varnish with a small knife.  Took forever, not
cost-effective but I did save it!!
After that, I sanded it lightly and re-stained it with "dark walnut" (if I
recall correctly!).
The burling is subtle, is really mostly just a direction change in the complex
grain (you might say).
Definitely not straight grain walnut.  Is definitely dark( see the original
faux painted filler
piece under the column, which matches pretty close).  The mostly-horizontal
cracks were not
original and did pick up too much stain, that is the only thing that looks
non-original.. but adds
patina ;-)  LOL  The flash changes the color close to the camera, the in-person
color is pretty
much like up by the oil gauge.
When I did it in 1979, I wanted to match the off-white (pale yellow) lettering.
 I could only get
rub-on letters in white.  I put them directly on the stained walnut and then
varnished.  They were
too white but what can you do?!   Amazingly after a few years, they must have
picked up the
stain and are now the correct(!?) pale yellow.  The type font is perfect too.
Good luck with your restoration!
Gary
Dublin, CA