Re: [Tigers] Brakes

To: Tom Parker <tkparker1941@gmail.com> s=q20121106; t=1368586476; bh=IFJ1NrXd9037unPhIOyVdbUWQH+c2+hu61JWUbmKJIU=; h=Received:Received:Date:From:To:Message-ID:Subject:MIME-Version: Content-Type; b=c13d1O7EqUmUGWtOh0S5HEnPSw/2Htm6zJcATEF42FVDpZLLa/tyw35vMrfzI9kgF I9fV8/dOSkFEsV2n1ekFL+VDH7j+M8NxbgSAna2gqjcOzLJWff4lRCmyGmCJZxjZZp DlsSiCF4dbSYMJlCnzkLDzBG5DpFkunJunQNcGp4qR3FgIlJNpbJIDo7/iO7SS+hj0 xaOH5rD6WVOMMRk0QN37G6g/lyysseSoXAn3G7pZq/OdpxkwFnCJeHmpkUdALrjsaJ geJcomMS9bmESLPY68IsRtD1BEqYiLT8Ydc16KPXX6ph80FDvGnWp1qp224AmVzCKZ 2J00rZFtSGZgQ==
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Brakes
From: genepadgett@comcast.net
Date: Wed, 15 May 2013 02:54:35 +0000 (UTC)
Cc: LIST TIGER <tigers@autox.team.net>
Regarding a proportioning valve, I would delay a decision until after the brake
changes, whatever they may be, are installed. Test the system and see if front
or rear lock up first.

Put 4 white shoe polish stripes on the tire sidewall, equally spaced, front and
rear on one side. In some deserted parking lot, get the car up to about 30+ mph
and hit the brakes hard to lock them while some one is watching/or filming the
test. You do not want the rears to lock up first as a sliding tire has less
traction than a rolling one.

If you decide to put in a proportioning valve, remember that it is a detuning
device. It lowers the effectiveness of the better performing brakes to be more
in keeping with the lesser performing brakes for better balance.

Were it me, I would try to upgrade the lesser performing end to be more in
keeping with the better performing end for better overall performance. You do
that by using different brake pads, shoes. With the stock system on my car, I
am very happy with Hawk HP pads in the front and Porterfield custom relined
shoes in the back using vintage racing shoe lining. The Hawk HP pads do "dust"
a lot, but that is a small price to pay for how well they work. If you go to
something like the Hawk pads, be sure to break them in properly.

My 2 cents.

Gene