Re: [Tigers] Brakes

To: Tom Parker <tkparker1941@gmail.com>, LIST TIGER <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Brakes
From: "Teepen, Jere" <jteepen@usatoday.com>
Date: Wed, 15 May 2013 00:05:51 -0400
Accept-language: en-US
Acceptlanguage: en-US
From: tigers-bounces@autox.team.net [mailto:tigers-bounces@autox.team.net] On
Behalf Of Tom Parker
Sent: Tuesday, May 14, 2013 7:33 PM
To: LIST TIGER
Subject: [Tigers] Brakes

based on experience. Regarding the dual master cylinder, no practical
experience. The dual Wilwood, if memory serves, has something like a 1"
diameter bore. This may cause braking issues with the stock Tiger brakes. I
haven't done it, so I have no practical experience.

First the proportioner: I'd suggest using one because you want the bulk of the
braking to be on the front brakes. Granted the rear drum brakes are somewhat
anemic, but you may find some handling issues with too much pressure to the
rear. Again, I haven't done it, so I'm speculating.

What I did do was bypass the Girling booster - out of necessity - using the
stock Lucas 7/8" bore single master cylinder. The pedal feel was so hard the
car - to me - was almost undrivable. I ended up buying a 3/4" bore master
cylinder from C.A.T. which worked well. When I reinstalled the Girling I
stayed with the 3/4" bore master; the braking is, imho, excellent. A much
better feel than the 7/8" bore cylinder.

When Tim Suddard wrote about the Wilwood brake conversion in Classic
Motorsports I had some conversation with Wilwood management on the conversion.
I'm told the Wilwood masters are designed for use with Wilwood calipers front
and (preferably) rear. They have a lot more volume, I'm told, than the stock
front Tiger calipers, and certainly a lot more volume than the single piston
rear brake cylinders. Summit Racing carries the Wilwood front brake kits  for
the Tiger. Dale A. sells rear disk brake kits. My point: the Wilwood dual
master cylinders may be overkill for the stock Tiger braking system. As a
result the pedal feel may be really really hard.

Tom
'67 Mark 2