Re: [Tigers] Electrical problem - ignition/ballast resistor?

To: csx2282 <csx2282@sonic.net>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Electrical problem - ignition/ballast resistor?
From: Jay Laifman <jay.laifman@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 5 Jun 2013 15:07:15 -0700
Cc: tigers <tigers@autox.team.net>
I took off the carb last night and took off the fuel bowl.  There is
nothing obvious.  But, I think Gary and Roland are probably right.  I
really can't see how the accelerator pump was leaking, and it appears that
it was more likely the bowl.  I'll never know for sure.  I'm certainly
looking forward to getting the kit from Holley and digging in.

Jay

On Mon, Jun 3, 2013 at 7:37 PM, csx2282 <csx2282@sonic.net> wrote:

> Gary has a good point.  When I first started driving my car after an
> engine rebuild, which included a professional carburetor rebuild, it leaked
> like crazy.  It turned out that the bowl mounting screws were too loose.
> Tightening them solved the problem.  In Jay's case, with a little detective
> work, it should be easy to verify whether or not it's the accelerator pump.
>
> Regarding my accelerator pump leakage problem, it was indeed a bad
> diaphragm.  But this was just the final chapter in series of fuel leaks,
> most likely caused by the ethanol gas additive here in California.  During
> the rebuild I had installed stainless steel braded AN6 Earls fuel lines.
> After about five years, these lines began leaking when whatever the inner
> material was made of started deteriorating.  I solved that problem by
> replacing the lines with stainless steel braded Teflon lines.  At least I
> hope I did!
>
> Roland
>
> ------------------------------**------------------------------**---
>
>> From: Gary Winblad <garywinblad@comcast.net>
>> Jay,
>> Are you sure?  I've had blown diaphrams but don't think they ever leaked.
>> But, I've had plenty of Holley leaks from the fuel bowls and just last
>> week from
>> the adjustable float adjuster.  Fuel will drip off the lowest point
>> (accelerator
>> pump) but the leak usually is from above.
>> Gary
>>
>>> From: Jay Laifman
>>>
>>> On the flip side, I noticed that the Holley is dripping gas out the
>>> bottom,
>>> from what looks like an accelerator pump.  Looks like the carb needs to