Re: [Tigers] MkII VINs

To: Tod Brown <todbrown@roadrunner.com>,Ron Fraser <rfraser@bluefrog.com>, tigers@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: [Tigers] MkII VINs
From: "Norman C. Miller via Tigers" <tigers@autox.team.net>
Date: Sat, 16 Jul 2016 09:36:54 -0700

--=====================_82067945==.ALT

Wrong Ron,

I don't know how, but you misunderstood something=20
I said.  No production 1966 model year Tiger left the factory with a 289.

Norm

At 06:59 AM 7/16/2016, Tod Brown via Tigers wrote:
>Hi Ron:
>
>Interesting. I had a conversation with Norm just=20
>recently and he said just the opposite, that=20
>there were a few cars that were built by Jensen=20
>at the end of the MkIA run with all of the=20
>changes that were incorporated on the MkII's=20
>just to make sure it would all go together.=20
>Those cars carried the MkIA badging. I made a=20
>mistake in my description in my previous email=20
>about the specific changes. I referred to a=20
>Watts linkage rear setup. That was incorrect. I=20
>meant to say Panhard rod, as that was the change=20
>incorporated into the MkII's, as you know.
>
>I suggested to Norm that it would be a good idea=20
>for him to publish what he knows about the MkII=20
>changeover process, but have not heard anything=20
>back from him. As you may know, as the editor of=20
>Rootes Review, I ran an ad for the MkII=20
>prototype, B382100002 LRXFE in the June issue=20
>past. When I got the info about the car and the=20
>request to run the ad, I was somewhat skeptical=20
>since a lot of the MkII trim was missing, so I=20
>contacted Norm. It was the result of our=20
>resultant conversation that he mentioned the=20
>MkIA's with the 289s. I was surprised when he=20
>mentioned them because, like you, I had always=20
>believed it to be a myth. However, the oracle=20
>has spoken. If Norm is reading this, I would=20
>urge him to weigh in to settle this.
>
>Cheers,
>
>Tod
>
>On 7/16/2016 8:39 AM, Ron Fraser wrote:
>>Tod
>>=C2 =C2 =C2 =C2 =C2 =C2 =C2 =C2 =C2 =C2 =C2 =C2 =C2 =C2 =C2  I don=E2=80=
=99t=20
>>believe any Mk 1A originally came with a 289=20
>>engine.=C2  I see no evidence of anything but the=20
>>B19KC 260 engine group for the last production=20
>>Mk 1A.=C2  Norm Miller calls the 289 engine in Mk=20
>>1As a myth.=C2  It would be nice to have real=20
>>evidence to confirm either position.
>>=C2
>>My Original Tiger Engine Study does not contain=20
>>specific information for the engines in the=20
>>last dozen or so Mk 1As produced.=C2  Owners lets change that.
>>=C2
>>I will gladly accept and examine engine=20
>>information for any original Tiger engine.=C2  I=20
>>have a worksheet that is easy to fill out =96 just ask for one.
>>=C2
>>Ron Fraser
>>=C2
t]=20
>>On Behalf Of Tod Brown via Tigers
>>Sent: Friday, July 15, 2016 7:28 PM
>>Subject: Re: [Tigers] MkII VINs
>>=C2
>>Actually, there were two MkII's assembled by=20
>>Rootes before production was turned
>>over to Jensen. They carry serial numbers=20
>>B382100001 and B382100002 but no JAL
>>numbers. The Jensen run began with B382100100 and ended with ...633. See=
 the
>>note in the SS Catalog:
>>MARK II PRODUCTION NUMBERS VARY. CARS WITH
>>SERIAL # B382100001
>>AND #B382100002 EXIST WITH NO JAL #=E2=80=99S (JENSEN ALPINE LTD. BODY #)
>>WHICH INDICATES THE CARS WERE COMPLETELY ASSEMBLED BY ROOTES,
>>NEVER GOING TO THE JENSEN PLANT AND MUST HAVE BEEN A PRE-
>>PRODUCTION PILOT CARS. THE NEXT MK II IS B382100
>>100 WHICH CARRIES
>>A JAL NUMBER, THE FIRST OF THE MK II SERIES.
>>There were also six (IIRC) MkIA's fitted with=20
>>the MkII mechanicals (289 block, wide-
>>ratio trans, modified Watts linkage, etc.) but=20
>>were badged as MkIA's at the end of
>>the MkIA run at Jensen.
>>
>>Tod Brown
>>B382002384LRXFE
>>TAC 864

--=====================_82067945==.ALT

Wrong Ron,<br><br>
I don't know how, but you misunderstood something I said.&nbsp; No
production 1966 model year Tiger left the factory with a 289.<br><br>
Norm<br><br>
At 06:59 AM 7/16/2016, Tod Brown via Tigers wrote:<br>
Interesting. I had a conversation with Norm just recently and he said
just the opposite, that there were a few cars that were built by Jensen
at the end of the MkIA run with all of the changes that were incorporated
on the MkII's just to make sure it would all go together. Those cars
carried the MkIA badging. I made a mistake in my description in my
previous email about the specific changes. I referred to a Watts linkage
rear setup. That was incorrect. I meant to say Panhard rod, as that was
the change incorporated into the MkII's, as you know.<br><br>
I suggested to Norm that it would be a good idea for him to publish what
he knows about the MkII changeover process, but have not heard anything
back from him. As you may know, as the editor of Rootes Review, I ran an
ad for the MkII prototype, B382100002 LRXFE in the June issue past. When
I got the info about the car and the request to run the ad, I was
somewhat skeptical since a lot of the MkII trim was missing, so I
contacted Norm. It was the result of our resultant conversation that he
mentioned the MkIA's with the 289s. I was surprised when he mentioned
them because, like you, I had always believed it to be a myth. However,
the oracle has spoken. If Norm is reading this, I would urge him to weigh
in to settle this.<br><br>
Cheers,<br><br>
Tod<br><br>
On 7/16/2016 8:39 AM, Ron Fraser wrote:<br>
=C2 =C2 =C2 =C2 =C2 =C2 =C2 =C2 =C2 =C2 =C2 =C2 =C2 =C2 =C2&nbsp; I don=E2=
=80=99t believe any Mk 1A
originally came with a 289 engine.=C2&nbsp; I see no evidence of anything
but the B19KC 260 engine group for the last production Mk 1A.=C2&nbsp; Norm
Miller calls the 289 engine in Mk 1As a myth.=C2&nbsp; It would be nice to
have real evidence to confirm either position.<br>
=C2 <br>
My <b>Original Tiger Engine Study</b> does not contain specific
information for the engines in the last dozen or so Mk 1As
produced.=C2&nbsp; Owners lets change that.<br>
=C2 <br>
I will gladly accept and examine engine information for any original
Tiger engine.=C2&nbsp; I have a worksheet that is easy to fill out =96 just
ask for one.<br>
=C2 <br>
Ron Fraser<br>
=C2 <br>
<b>From:</b> Tigers
[<a href=3D"mailto:tigers-bounces@autox.team.net";>
via Tigers<br>
<b>To:</b>
=C2 <br>
Actually, there were two MkII's assembled by Rootes before production was
turned <br>
over to Jensen. They carry serial numbers B382100001 and B382100002 but
no JAL<br>
numbers. The Jensen run began with B382100100 and ended with ...633. See
the<br>
note in the SS Catalog:<br>
MARK II PRODUCTION NUMBERS VARY. CARS WITH<br>
SERIAL # B382100001 <br>
AND #B382100002 EXIST WITH NO JAL #=E2=80=99S (JENSEN ALPINE LTD. BODY #)=
WHICH INDICATES THE CARS WERE COMPLETELY ASSEMBLED BY ROOTES, <br>
NEVER GOING TO THE JENSEN PLANT AND MUST HAVE BEEN A PRE-<br>
PRODUCTION PILOT CARS. THE NEXT MK II IS B382100<br>
100 WHICH CARRIES <br>
A JAL NUMBER, THE FIRST OF THE MK II SERIES.<br>
There were also six (IIRC) MkIA's fitted with the MkII mechanicals (289
block, wide-<br>
ratio trans, modified Watts linkage, etc.) but were badged as MkIA's at
the end of<br>
the MkIA run at Jensen. <br><br>
Tod Brown<br>
B382002384LRXFE<br>