Re: When to bore, when to just hone

To: hfader@usa.net (Hugh Fader)
Subject: Re: When to bore, when to just hone
From: tr6taylor@webtv.net (Sally or Dick Taylor)
Date: Mon, 1 Apr 2002 17:49:34 -0800 (PST)
Hugh---Being able to still see the cross hatch marks in the piston bores
may have given the mechanic to conclude that it was recently re-ringed.
Not a safe thing to assume that the cylinder taper was OK. Bentley
doesn't say how much taper and ovality is acceptable, but at least one
book that I have on the subject gives the following data:

Cylinder taper-- max. .008
Out of round-- .Max. .005

This seems a bit much on pistons less than 3 inches in diam., given that
new, round rings must then expand and collapse each time the piston
changes direction.
Seems like this would be a good prescription for blowby and oil
consumption.

Rings that are + .010 (if you can get them) wouldn't work well on std.
pistons. The next size up would be .020 over pistons, and of course a
rebore. Custom pistons run around $1000/set, the last time I checked.

Dick T.
.020 over