Re: application of emissions decal/label on fender under the

To: <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: application of emissions decal/label on fender under the
From: "GREG DONEGAN" <tr6greg@msn.com>
Date: Mon, 1 Apr 2002 19:50:36 -0500
Bob, you didn't do anything wrong in the application of your label, believe it
or not, most all of them had wrinkles in them from the factory, I know mine
did, and I replaced it when I restored the car in 1998, put it in the exact
same place and had the exact same wrinkle pattern as the original one did when
installed in '72.  I compared the old one after I installed the new one.  If
you notice where it is placed is in an area of no flat surfaces-only compound
curves, so there's no way you will get it to stay put without some
wrinkles...the adhesive is just not that strong, and the curves too great.
Maybe if you find some really good contact adhesive you could get it to stay
down without wrinkles, but I doubt it would last long.  I have seen some which
have only one or two wrinkles in them, but none without them.  It's just too
large of a label to be installed on a compound curved surface.  I have seen
some installed in closer to the wing, which will help somewhat.   I even had a
concours judge make a comment on having the "original" wrinkles in the label
at a recent show!  The air bubbles are another issue, though, and are due to
improper installation...when installing the new label, you need to begin
installation in the middle of the label, leaving the backing on the label
except for the center, and work your way out to the edges slowly and carefully
so air is not trapped under the label, and pull the backing off as you go.
The new label should have a seam in the backing which is somewhere in the
middle or slightly offset to allow you to use this technique.  HTH

Greg Donegan
72 TR6  CC82492U
Hebron, KY