Re: When to bore, when to just hone

To: Sally or Dick Taylor <tr6taylor@webtv.net>
Subject: Re: When to bore, when to just hone
From: "Robert M. Lang" <lang@isis.mit.edu>
Date: Mon, 1 Apr 2002 21:43:44 -0500 (EST)
On Mon, 1 Apr 2002, Sally or Dick Taylor wrote:

[stuff deleted for brevity] {no argument with the logic either]

> Rings that are + .010 (if you can get them) wouldn't work well on std.
> pistons. The next size up would be .020 over pistons, and of course a
> rebore. Custom pistons run around $1000/set, the last time I checked.

Hmmmm. Well, for a couple of data points, you can get JE forged pistons in
various overbore sizes for about $120 each of $720 a set. Forged Venolia
pistons cost about the same, but you have to provide the specs.

Of course if you are driving your TR6 on the street, forged Venolia are
more than overkill, but I wanted to emphasise the upper end of cost for
cutom pistons. Of course Cosworth is probably more!

I haven't bought any pistons for a while, but last time I did there were
.010 over cast pistons for under $250 a set. They were pretty good quality
too, I think they were Hepolite.

It pays to shop around a bit.

> Dick T.
> .020 over

rml
std
Voice:617-253-7438    FAX: 617-258-9535        |