Re: first electrical issue

To: 6pack list <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: first electrical issue
From: Peter Macholdt <vze2846b@verizon.net>
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2002 12:09:10 -0400
Mark,

I hate to disagree, but I'm going to anyway.  I noticed a drop on my Amp
gauge when using the headlights (no other obvious symptoms).  A few weeks
later, I was driving at night, crusing along at 70 when the car cut out
completely.  I got a jump from AAA, but could not get the car to run.

We had a nice ride on a big truck.  Next day, I took the battery to Sears
and found it was DOA.  I replaced it and everything has been fine.

YMMV,
Peter
'68 TR250

on 4/10/02 11:51 AM, Mark Hooper at mhooper@pixelsystems.com wrote:

> I should ask "how big is that stereo?" Not one of those 1000 watt jobs I
> trust.  ;^)
>
> Seriously though, it sounds like you are getting very little juice from your
> alternator into the system. Whether your battery is good or not, the
> alternator should be able to keep the whole lot going while you are actually
> driving. You should only dip into the battery when idling with the
> headlights, fan etc...on. Is your battery warm after a run? Does the car
> start easily? It's odd that the car would start and run normally if the
> battery is dead. You could have a weak alternator which would show up as the
> voltage dropping from 14V to 12V when the alternator couldn't keep up, or a
> poor connection from alternator to system.
>
> If all else fails, break out the knee pads and crawl to the alter of Dan and
> Dave.
>
> Mark Hooper

Peter Macholdt
609-466-2127 Phone