Re: Weird brake question # 163

To: James Franks <jimmble@adelphia.net>
Subject: Re: Weird brake question # 163
From: "Robert M. Lang" <lang@isis.mit.edu>
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2002 12:15:03 -0400 (EDT)
On Wed, 10 Apr 2002, James Franks wrote:

> Robert, (or anyone else for that matter)

Hi.

> Do you know of a modification that gets rid of this 'flex'?
> Can the front suspension be realistically altered in such a way as to
> stiffen it a bit?

Some folks have converted to stronger front hubs. But these are "real
money" and not an off-the-shelf piece. A bunch of the Triumph racers had a
batch run by a shop in Iowa (or the midwest somewhere), but these are not
avaialble now (to the best of my knowledge.) Years ago Tilton sold an
equivalent and more recently (but still in the realm of ancient history)
TRF had a part number for a hub that was custom made by Sam Halkias (a TR6
racer from OH), but I don't think TRF sells those anymore either.

If you want to go "overseas", I'm sure that Racetorations or Cambridge
Motorsports probably have something suitable that is stiffer than the
stock piece.

If you want to approach this solution without going "overseas", you're
talking custom machine work. Not cheap.

As regards to what else in the "system" flexes, I'm guessing that the
verticle link is also capable of a bit of flex. I haveno idea how you
might remedy that situation short of replacing it with something
altogether different, but that's not in the scope of most backyard
mechanics like most of us are.

The bottom line on this thing is that the front suspension on a TR6 is not
made to handle the loads that can be applied in all out conditions with
really sticky tires and modified suspensions.

A "stab" on the brakes is a lot cheaper than a $500 set of hubs.

:-)

> Curious Jim

I'm open to suggestions on this one, because I'd love to make a set of
"alley" hubs for my car that make things stiffer and reduce the unsprung
weight. However, the ol' budget is already "tapped out" this year and I
haven't even started my race car yet! First event is this Sunday. Looks
like I'll be up 'till two every night this week.

regards,
rml
Voice:617-253-7438    FAX: 617-258-9535        |