Re: Low compression

To: "Lumia, John" <jlumia@ball.com>
Subject: Re: Low compression
From: "James Franks" <jimmble@adelphia.net>
Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2002 18:51:53 -0400
John,

Although the compression values are on the low side, I would put sooner
expect your idle problem to be related to carbs, ignition or distributor
before bad rings or valves.

Did you inject a teaspoon of oil in each cylinder after the 'dry' test
to see if the valves are the culprit?  Maybe all you need is a top
overhaul.  A total rebuild may be (IMHO) unnecessary if you have good
oil pressure, good crank endfloat, and it's running smooth and cool
without knocks or rattles.

If it ain't broke........ drive it!

BTW, why would you expect lower compression with a denser atmosphere at
sea level than at a higher elevation?  I would expect the opposite. No
flame intended, just curious.

Good Luck, Jim