BL Badges

To: <auxiliary1@cox.net>
Subject: BL Badges
From: "jonmac" <jonmac@ndirect.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 22 Nov 2002 03:37:13 -0000
Steve R. wrote:
I just ordered part # 725525 from The Roadster Factory. Silver on blue
British Leyland badges. I have seen a few beat up one around the shop
and they are blue.these look black or a dark navy blue. They are real
nice, I should say.
Can anyone tell me, if they sent the wrong one.If I should return
them..keep them..I just want some badges that are like the originals. My
car didn't have them when I bought it.

Steve - it's difficult to say which badge is the 'right' or 'wrong' one. I
presume you mean the small oblong badges mounted at the trailing edge of
each wing down near the left or right hand sills? When these were being
fitted in the late 60's and 70's, Austin, Morris, MG, Jaguard, Rover and
Triumph all (mostly) had different suppliers. From a corporate identity
viewpoint, it soonn became clear the logo 'device' was found to be open to
interpretation in terms of how it was made and finished - especially wit the
Pantone colour references. This gave rise to a variety of similar (but
different) finishes and this exists today with different manufacturers doing
different things. The bottom line here is that at a concours level, there is
no one *definitive* form. Standard-Triumph were among the last of the BL
maufacturers to start fitting these badges to their cars and they switched
back and forth between the designs favoured by Jaguar and Rover - both of
which were slightly different because they came from different suppliers.
It's a muddy issue and one the 'originality' brigade should put to one side.
All versions currently available that I've seen are very close to the many
original badges that were fitted. The badges on my two Triumphs ('70 and
'74) are different and both are originals. As someone said to me the other
day on a related issue - "do you use cotton thread or thin twine to hang
your balls on your Christmas Tree?" That in itself opened up an entirely new
thought process!

Jonmac
Last few book copies "In The Shadow of my Father" at
www.toolbox.ndirect.co.uk/triumphbook