Re: broken rockers,bent pushrods

To: larryandrobin@charter.net
Subject: Re: broken rockers,bent pushrods
From: YeOldEd@aol.com
Date: Sun, 4 May 2003 20:25:52 EDT
Larry,

Do not despair. I also bought wreck with a rebuilt engine. No miles on it.
The DPO told me he couldn't get it to run.
After a ground up resto, I checked all the significant torque settings on the
engine, re-adjusted the tappits, (very carefully), found and replaced four
bent push rods. The DPO obviously didn't understand tappits. Then I fired her
up.
She ran great for about 300 miles, at which point she started spitting fuel
thru the fwd. carb. intake. I found a broken rocker and 2 more bent rods.
It's not a tough fix and not as expensive as some problems. Recommend you
check all the rods carefully and take a real close look at the rockers for
stress cracks. You might even want to carry a spare rocker for a while!
I've got about 3,000 trouble free miles since then. Good luck.

Mike N

CC75088L