broken rockers,bent pushrods

To: <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: broken rockers,bent pushrods
From: "Lawrence Brown" <larryandrobin@charter.net>
Date: Sun, 4 May 2003 19:36:34 -0400
Hello Listers,
     I have a '74 TR6 that I've been trying to wake from a 10 year stalled
restoration.  The previous owner said the engine had been rebuilt, and it
appears so.  After cleaning out the entire fuel system and carbs of jellied
gasoline I got it running, not great, with a few backfires. Oil pressure 100
lbs., which came down to about 60 in 10 minutes.  When I went to start it
again today, there was valve clatter immediately, and I shut it down.  I have
2 broken rocker arms and  at least 4 severly bent pushrods.  Can anybody tell
me what happened?  Can 3 or 4 backfires damage the valve gear so badly?  Do
you suspect the oil feed to the rocker shaft?  Can carburation or timing
errors cause this?
     Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.  I've done over 100 separate jobs
to this car, and have yet to ride one block.  Its getting depressing.

Larry Brown
Asheville,NC