Re: Soft Lifters

To: "Cliff Davies" <cdavies@holzher.com>, <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Soft Lifters
From: "Gregory Dito" <g.dito@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Fri, 23 May 2003 19:10:34 -0400
Cliff,

I don't think any TR parts supplier would knowingly sell bad lifters.  The
problem is the manufacturer.  Unless BPNW and all of the others actually
inspect each lifter for hardness how would they know?  Now, they may decide
that until a manufactuer gets their act together BPNW will not buy from
them.  But the only way a supplier like BPNW would know is from customer
complaints.

I did not realize I had some bad lifters until 23 years later.  Granted,
it's been off the road for 20, but I recall that the engine still seemed to
run OK.  It's just that a couple of cylinders were not getting the full
breathing capacity afforded by the cam.  And I recall a thread some time ago
from another list where someone who rebuilt TR engines regularly returned
lifters after testing them and finding them soft.  It was a decent
percentage.  Has this improved?  Who knows?  So it is caveat emptor - buyer
beware.

Greg
CD6250L

Again, if you want to be sure either have them checked for hardness, have
them hardened or buy hardened lifters.