Re: Soft Lifters

To: g.dito@worldnet.att.net (Gregory Dito)
Subject: Re: Soft Lifters
From: tr6taylor@webtv.net (Sally or Dick Taylor)
Date: Fri, 30 May 2003 18:28:06 -0700 (PDT)
Hi, Greg---I also have the relatively new Z-19 Isky cam. Pains were
taken to pre-lube the cam and followers prior to start-up, yada,yada, as
always, tho I still can't follow the reasoning why soft lifters should
play hell on the lobes. Seems to me soft lifters would be the
sacrificial metal here, and leave the lobes whole. Any metallurgical
reason for  this?
Also, I would think that as certain parts of the cam drive were going
away, the lash would increase more on those stations.

On the same subject, I have always poured motor oil down the cam
follower (pushrod) bores prior to a fresh parts startup. Some of this
oil has to find its way down on to the cam lobes, to assist  initial
run-in.  I would also think normal run-off of rocker shaft oil would
continue to drain into these valleys, to aid the splash system.

 Dick