Re: Soft Lifters

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Soft Lifters
From: David Friedlander <forzion@maine.rr.com>
Date: Fri, 23 May 2003 17:08:59 -0400
Thanks Todd. I could use a measure of reassurance right now. After all, the
engine is now freshly reassembled and I'd hate to tear it down again. We haven't
even fired it up yet. It's on an engine stand ready to go back into the car. I
just received the JetHot coated headers back from JetHot and wanted to mount
them on the engine before putting the engine back in.

Anyway, I note that BPNW DOES sell a nitrided tappet set for $70 and the
standard set for $44 (geez, for another $36 I could sleep a whole lot better).
So, from BPNW it's not much $$ difference but no one ever said this was
important. I can't exactly get to the lifters now that the engine's on it's way
back in.... rats! Nothing short of a call to BPNW will settle this matter. I
doubt they know what the hardness is of their standard sets. One lister just
wrote to me directly and said that an "acceptable hardness" minimum is 55 (must
be Rockwell scale). How he knows that that's an acceptable value, I don't know.
I've just sunk in WAY too much cash to have this thing need another tear-apart
in 15k miles all for a set of lifters!

Cliff, if I still had mine in their "brown paper wrappers" like you do, I'd be
exchanging them for the upgraded set they sell.

Dave Friedlander
'74 TR6