brake lights not working

To: "6pack" <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: brake lights not working
From: "Steven Altomare" <gtg124h@mail.gatech.edu>
Date: Sun, 11 Sep 2005 13:38:30 -0400
Don Malling said...

>But doesn't dielectric grease also insulate the connection from conduction?
>A dielectric is a
>non-conductor. So we clean up the connection surfaces and then coat them
>with a non-conductive
>material? Doesn't sound right to me.

True, a dielectric is a nonconductor place inbetween two conductors.  A
textbook example would be in the construction of a capacitor.

For properly using dielectric grease you are making an assumption that the
connections are tight.  If the connection is tight then you are then
displacing the grease out of the connection when you make it and the grease
just "covers" the connection rather than the grease being "in" the
connection.  The grease helps keep the connections clean from dirt and
corrosion, and if you use them somewhere like on a spark plug boot - it
helps keep the rubber from drying out.

Steven Altomare