E85 gasoline in a TR6

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: E85 gasoline in a TR6
From: tr6taylor@webtv.net (Sally or Dick Taylor)
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2005 23:05:28 -0700
Rob---There were a few times while traveling cross country that I had
filled up the tank with a formulation that said "15% alcohol" on the
pump. If this is what you mean, there are no changes that were made to
burn the stuff. It is said that prolonged use may harm aluminum parts
(such as our carburetors) but I don't know if this is true, or how long
it would take to show up. If you can avoid this formula, do so. At best,
get a gallon of it and put some in a glass jar, and drop in a hunk of
aluminum. Wait as long as you can (months?) to see what happens.

Alcohol doesn't have the power of gasoline, so mileage may be down when
using this 85/15 blend. On the otherhand, alcohol is colder, and it is
used to raise the octane level.  Think pro-stock drag cars.

Dick

From: robp@ncsa.uiuc.edu(Rob Pennington) Date: Mon, Sep 12, 2005,
10:58pm (PDT+3) To: 6pack@autox.team.net, triumphs@autox.team.net
Has anyone converted their TR6 to use the E85 gasoline formulation? A
gas station in town has begun to carry it and it got me thinking....
Rob
74 TR6 daily driver